For over 120 years, the attorneys at Willcox, Buyck & Williams have been helping business owners in South Carolina take their businesses in new directions with our mergers, acquisitions, and business sale expertise. Some firms seem to think is the job of the lawyer is roadblock and naysayer. We are deal facilitators. Our focus is always on taking our clients’ business plans and making them a reality.
Our merger and acquisition services can include:
• Performing thorough due diligence. It’s the things you don’t know you don’t know that end up being problems. We work hard to bring all the unknowns lurking under the surface of a deal to light so our client can make decisions with the best knowledge possible.
• Overseeing business valuation. It is sometimes difficult for business owners to put a realistic value on something they have poured their hearts and souls into. At the same time, it is difficult for number crunchers to value soft assets. We work in the neutral ground between you and your financial advisors to make sure the deal gets past the valuation stage.
• Negotiating the purchase price. The Willcox team is full of expert negotiators that can assist you at the bargaining table.
• Gathering all the information necessary so you can secure financing. A lot of new, complex rules have gone into effect since the Dodd-Frank Act was passed in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis. We can help you make sure your financing is not delayed by regulatory red tape.
• Advising you of tax consequences. How a deal is structured can make all the difference in the world come tax time. We make sure you and your business aren’t giving Uncle Sam a windfall.
• Minimizing liability. When you buy a business you don’t want to buy that business’s lawsuits. We help clients ensure they are protected from surprise lawsuits and liabilities the previous owners should be on the hook for.
• Structuring the deal as an asset purchase, a stock purchase, or reorganization. We help our clients get the chosen level of control into the hands of the desired people while minimizing liability and taxes.
• Negotiating, drafting, or litigating contracts as necessary. Business is not done via handshake alone anymore. We make sure our client’s wishes are accurately expressed in all contracts, and we then work to enforce the terms of those contracts.
We are a client-focused firm, so we understand that we are not the only advisors you are working with to get your deal done. That is why we are very pro-active about keeping other members of your team apprised of the legal aspects of the deal.
If you are looking for advice on buying or selling a business in the Florence or Myrtle Beach areas, look no further. Contact the business law attorneys at Willcox, Buyck & Williams today to schedule an initial consultation by calling us in Florence at (843)536-8050 or Myrtle Beach at (843)461-3020.