South Carolina’s new area code 854 will overlay the 843 area code region, including the coastal communities of Charleston, Hilton Head Island, Myrtle Beach, and Florence. This will require 10-digit dialing within the region.
You won’t have to change your present telephone number. The new 854 area code will be assigned only for new telephone numbers within the area code region. The only change will be the way you dial local calls in the 843 area code region.
Effective September 19, 2015, all calls that are currently dialed with 7 digits will need to be dialed using 10 digits to be completed: area code 843 then 7-digit telephone number. The same dialing procedure will apply to telephone numbers assigned to the new 854 area code.
- Local calling areas and rates will not be affected by this change.
- Special services that use three-digit numbers, such as 911 and 411, as well as 1+ 10-digit “long distance, will not change.
- Other three-digit numbers that are currently available in your community or from your provider, such as 211;311, 511, 611, 711 or 811, will not change.
Start early using 1.0-digit dialing so it will be second nature by the time it is required on September 19, 2015. Beginning October 19, 2015, new telephone lines or services may be assigned numbers with the new 854 area code.
What you should do to get ready for 10-digit dialing.
- Make sure your websites, stationery, advertising materials and checks include your area code. Since your area code remains the same, there is no need to reprint if these items already contain your area code.
- Update all stored local telephone numbers to include the area code for services such as call forwarding, call blocking and voicemail, and for equipment, such as wireless phones.
- You may need to reprogram or upgrade equipment such as fax machines, dial-up modems, Internet connections, multi-line key or PBX systems, or any equipment with automatic dialing features.
- Customers who have security systems, life safety systems, or monitored medical devices need to contact their vendor to determine reprogramming needs for 10-digit local dialing.