Personal Injury Attorney Servicing Myrtle Beach & Florence
Though we all incur insignificant injuries in the course of our daily lives such as cuts, scrapes, and bruises, but suffering a serious personal injury is an entirely different matter. Anyone who has been through the experience will tell you how frightening and overwhelming it can be. Overcome by physical pain, emotional trauma and financial worries simultaneously may make you feel alone and helpless. If your personal injury is the fault of another’s negligence or recklessness, however, by law you are entitled to compensation from the party responsible for your harm.
If you are in South Carolina, you can count on the support and talents of Willcox, Buyck & Williams, P.A., a prestigious law firm with offices in Florence and Myrtle Beach. Our skilled personal injury attorneys are well-prepared to file a lawsuit on your behalf and to fight energetically to ensure that you receive the damages you deserve. We are fully committed to holding the party who injured you accountable. Once you contact us for a free consultation you will experience the relief of knowing you and your family are in safe hands. With our capable legal team at your side, you will no longer be alone and you will no longer be a victim.
What Our Personal Injury Attorney Can Do To Help
If you have been seriously injured due to the negligence, impairment, or recklessness of another, call on us for a free consultation during which we will evaluate whether you have a viable case. We will only take you on as a client if we feel certain we can win you a substantial settlement and we will charge you no attorneys’ fees until we do.
Once we take your case, we will investigate all aspects of it — from the site it took place to any police and medical data. The more promptly you call us, the more effectively we can collect unaltered physical evidence, documents that validate your claim and witness accounts unblurred by the passage of time. Depending on the nature of your personal injury and the circumstances under which it occurred, we have well-honed tactics and the resources to bring in experts in relevant fields (e.g.mechanics, engineers, medical specialists) to assist us in court.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
Unfortunately, there are a great many ways you can be seriously injured in South Carolina.
Fortunately, Willcox, Buyck & Williams has comprehensive knowledge of the personal injury field so we will be able to guide you through the complicated and sometimes confusing legal process. Below are some of the many types of personal injury cases we handle:
- Traffic accidents — car, truck, motorcycle, bus, bicycle
- Pedestrian accidents
- Construction site accidents — improperly stacked materials, explosions, equipment malfunctions
- Premises liability — slip and falls, dog bites, exposure to toxins, faulty wiring, swimming pool accidents, fires, poor security
- Product liability — flammable fabrics, contaminated foods, mismarked medications, defective parts on cars, tools, toys, furniture, vehicles
- Medical malpractice — misdiagnosis, surgical mistakes, anesthesia errors, birth injuries, hospital negligence, nursing home abuse
- Wrongful death — when one of the above leads to fatality or when a person is criminally attacked*
*Note: a civil suit for wrongful death can be brought against an attacker whether or not that individual is charged with or convicted of a crime
Modified Comparative Negligence in South Carolina
One of the more complicated aspects of personal injury cases is how the court determines fault. Although in some cases one party is clearly 100 percent at fault, in a great many blame is shared. This situation arises, for example, when there is a collision on the road when one person is speeding and the other makes an illegal turn, or when one person slips and falls on a loose rug, but the injured party is looking at an iPhone at the time.
In cases like these, the concept of comparative negligence comes in. You should be aware that different states have widely differing laws governing comparative negligence which makes it essential that you work with a personal injury attorney who is familiar with South Carolina regulations.
In South Carolina, the court determines the percentages of fault for the parties involved. This means that it may assign the plaintiff 20 percent of the blame for his/her injury and the defendant 80 percent of the blame. If this occurs, the damages awarded to the plaintiff will be decreased by the percentage of his/her fault.
For instance, if the plaintiff is found to be 20 percent at fault and is awarded $100,000 in compensation, he/she will only receive $80,000. Even more bewildering, in our state, if you (the plaintiff) are found to be 50 percent or more at fault for your own injury, you are not entitled to receive any compensation at all. Be aware, though, that our agile attorneys are typically well able to leverage their tactical skills to keep you on the winning end of your personal injury case.
We Want to Get You All the Compensation You Deserve
Whatever type of incapacitating injury you have suffered, whether fracture, serious burn, spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury (TBI), organ damage, vision or hearing loss, our compassionate attorneys know how many areas of your life may be affected. We are determined to win you both economic and non-economic damages.
- Economic damages compensate you for past and future medical and healthcare costs, lost wages, decreased future earning power, property damage, household services, and any other monetary costs resulting from your injury.
- Non-economic damages compensate you for intangibles like physical pain, mental anguish, loss of neuromuscular or cognitive function, disfigurement, loss of limbs, loss of quality of life.
- Punitive damages offer extra compensation if the circumstances of your case involve especially egregious misconduct on the part of the defendant. If our sharp personal injury attorneys can prove malice, extreme negligence or recklessness, we may be able to get you punitive damages as well. Punitive damages are designed to punish the defendant and to prevent others from engaging in such abhorrent behavior.
Contact Our Myrtle Beach & Florence Personal Injury Attorney
The ripple effects from a serious personal injury cannot be overestimated. Your inability to work at the same time you are receiving astronomical medical bills can make you feel as if you’re drowning, but you are not. Contact us promptly so we get the process started. We will work hard and long to provide you with the life-saving help you need.